5 minutes of mindfulness exercises (or less!!)
I will give 6 different exercises that some of them actually takes LESS than 5 minutes. Some of them are one-minute mindfulness exercises and they still will make you feel better!
What is mindfulness
Mindfulness is when you stop everything for a minute and focus on just one thing and you have in front of you. You can decide what this thing will be and I will give you some tips to find your way.
Mindfulness gives the brain a possibility to rest for a while from all thoughts we have and just focus on one thing.
People sometimes think this is a quick fix but it doesn’t work like that. You have to practice this amount of time and by the time you will get more and more focus and peacefulness in your mind.
Well, in one way it is a quick fix. You can gain a positive effect Immediately but you need to practice longer to keep the great outcome.
I really think the outcome will be different depending on who you are as a person so you have to listen to yourself.
For some people, this will really help and you will gain more peacefulness in your mind but for some people, this is not the way to go. Try for your self to know.
If you are a person who cannot really make use of this you can do other things like paint or draw or dance or listen to music. This is also a way for the brain to take a break.
Here are some different exercises that you can do that will not require more than 5 minutes.
I wish you luck on your journey and please comment below if you have some good exercises that people can make use of.
What is meditation? It is when you focus on your thoughts rather than getting distracted by them.
Meditation is something that you can do in different kind of ways and I will give you one exercise for this. It is really simple but still gives a lot.
- Sit down or lay down
- Relax the whole body
- Close your eyes
- Think about your breathing
- How does it feel when you breathe in?
- How does it feel when you breathe out?
- Notice your breathing for two minutes
Can you see the difference before you started and now after.
Feeling calmer? More focused? Anything else that came up?
Feel something in your hand
- Take something that you have around you. It can be a pencil or a cup or a paper or a towel or whatever you have close to you right now.
- Just feel this with your hands in about one minute.
- Is it soft? is it hard? is it small or big? Do you get any emotions by looking at thing? or do you get an emotion by touching this thing?
Just do this for just one minute and you will notice that your focus has changed. For some people, this is even bigger and they feel like they also get happier just by doing this.
Write Gratitude list
- Pick a pen or and a pencil
- Get a timer and put it on three minutes
- Start to write down everything you can come up or think about in your life that you like. It can be really whatever thing that crosses your mind.
When time ends, read your list and really feel gratitude about all these things.
Did it work? Do you feel happier? More focused?
This exercise I do EVERY morning and for me, it is a game changer that actually made me write a whole article just about gratitude lists.
- Sit still and put your fingers together and start praying
When you pray I want you to think off something or someone that you want to wish luck or love for.
This is a way to get aware of the things around you and also to bring happiness and joy and peace to others around you.
The things around its not always things we like.
Sometimes they are actually not very pleasant at all, but if you bring love or kindness to this thing you will feel different.
To pray, you don´t need to know anything about praying. Just say or thing whatever comes into your mind. Here is an example:
-“God, I need your help and I need you to send love to ______________”.
or if you do not believe in God or believe in something else, you can just simply say
-“Help me to give love or kindness to this person__________ or this situation _________”.
It doesn’t have to be more difficult than this. Just by praying you stop for a minute and this can really help you feel better and gain more peacefulness in your life.
Breathing in Square
- Sit down or lay down as feel comfortable for you
- Start breathing in and breathing out normally
- Find a square somewhere in the room that you can look at easy
- Breath in on the count of four and follow one sine of the square
- In the count of four, hold the breathing while you follow the next side of the square
- Breath out in the count of four and follow the next side of the square
- Then hold on the count of four and look at the last side if the square.
Repeat 4 times.
Pencil in your Mouth
This is a really fun exercise and it actually helps!
- Take a pencil
- Put it in your mouth
This will force you to make a happy face.
Hold it for at least one minute and you will actually start to feel happier, right?
Who am I?
This exercise makes you think about who you really are
- sit down and close your eyes
- Ask the question “who am I?”
- Probably you will get an answer like “I am “your name”” or “just me”
- So ask again, How is answering this question?
- Listen to the answer and ask again, who is asking?
It might come up feelings or something in your body takes your attention. Ask then again who has this feeling or who feels this body.
After a while, you will understand that you have a lot of thoughts in your mind and also a lot of feelings.
This can help you in the daily life that you know this is “just” feelings or “just” emotions or “just” thoughts.
I really hope you got something out of these exercises
Try the ones that you like and if you don´t know where to start just do them in order. Different people will respond differently to this exercise so you just have to figure out which one is the better for you.
Please comment below if you have any exercises you like more.
How was for you? And if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Wish you a great and mindful day!